For the Love of Street Food.
For those who are of the light of pocket(like I currently am) or not!

If you asked me what the 3 most popular street foods in Abuja were, my immediate response would be Akara, Fried Yam and Suya. I’d probably be 75% right. Why 75%? I don’t know, just made that up…lol. However, I’m willing to admit that I can only speak about the things I know about. So, while I do know that fura de nunu (sp) is readily available street food, I can’t very well discuss something I know nothing about can I?

*Note to self* - Try Fura de nunu someday soon – write a report!

Back to what I do know about:

Akara, when made right is a golden brown fritter with hints of pepper, onions and seasoning. Made from ground beans, it's soft when you bite into it yet crispy on the outside. My favorite place to get akara is this spot across from the Dollar pharmacy in Asokoro. I've tried many different places in my area but this one beats them all. Usually available early in the morning or in the evening, it’s an easy breakfast or dinner. It is quick and very affordable at 5 naira each and you can get it with Stew or Yaaji.

In Abuja, anywhere you find Akara you will most certainly find Fried Yam. They are sold together like bread and butter. I don’t typically like yam. At home when it comes to yam, I sound like that character in Dr Seuss's Green Ham and Eggs. I do not like it boiled, I do not like it grilled, I do not like it fried and I most certainly don’t like it in porridge. For some reason though, Fried yam from the street is the only exception to my otherwise all encompassing dislike of yam. Don’t ask me why, ‘cos I really don’t know. I suspect it might be the choice of yam or maybe the temperature of the oil. I like it with just a quick dip in good yaji. I’ve tried to duplicate it at home to no avail.

 150 Naira worth of Akara and Fried Yam

When I was younger, Beef suya(Roasted meat with a spicy rub) was one of the best treats that my mum could bring home on her way back from work. To me, better than all the candy my snack money could buy. Lol! Imagine my surprise when I moved to abj and discovered that there was actually something better; Ram suya. What's the big deal? You ask. Ram typically has more body fat which translates to mmmmh very flavorful meat on the grill. Meat that is softer and achieves a depth of flavor that some how beef suya never does. It's lil pricier than beef but so worth it.


Maybe someday I'll do a post about some other street foods like Okpa, Masa and Fura de Nunu. I'd add Bole but I have seen it any place in abj yet. Know of a good place? Recommend it to me.

Useful to know
Yaji -Suya Spice blend, normally includes cloves, ginger, cayenne pepper amongst others.
Labels: , , edit post
6 Responses
  1. For bole, try the place behind AP plaza


  2. TayneMent Says:

    what person doesnt like yam??


  3. @Omosi,thanks! I'll check it out.

    @Taynement, the cool ppl? lol. I just don't like it, cain't help maself.


  4. Unknown Says:

    There is no bole like bole from PH!! One of the highlights of my relocation.


  5. @TayneMent

    Please help me ask her o, it's mind boggling.


  6. @ Lady, I haven't been to PH in many yrs! If I ever find reason to visit I'll be looking forward to the Bole.


Post a Comment

  • Which Restaurant should I visit this week

    About Me

    My photo
    I'm a proper naija girl, Born in Lag, lived in Ph, Went to Sec. Sch in Calabar, Moved to Abj. Went to college in the states, lived in the boonies in MI, and the surburbs in Chicago and the DMV area. Relocated to Abj last yr and is currently finding her footing. Corper lomo!

    Followers