Soursop : Fruit in Season

I had some Soursop this morning as part of my breakfast. It’s been a long while since I had some last, almost 5 yrs.  All the times I’ve come home in the last couple years, this fruit has never been in season. Dunno what Soursop is? One of my friends calls it shawashawa , Spanish speaking people refer to it as guanabana and its called graviola in portugese. Here’s a pic.

Soursop

Looks scary, but don’t judge a fruit by its cover.  You'll know it's ripe when it's soft to the touch and becomes a light green color. On the inside, it has a smooth and creamy texture.Slightly fibrous with seeds, the taste of the juice is a little hard to describe.  Its sweet but with a citrusy tang like really ripe strawberries or pineapples yet its creaminess is like that of a banana. I’ve only ever eaten them fresh but I started to wonder, what else could I make with Soursop? Would be nice in Cake, Smoothies, Ice-cream, candy etc? Hmmm…Google to the rescue!!

Well looky here, I found a couple recipes for soursop that look interesting! Thanks Google!  I know that I will be trying that punch recipe very soon, seems so simple to make. I saw 3 recipes for cake, but I think only one that really qualifies as a cake (at least the way I had in mind) is the sponge cake with Soursop filling. The other is a flan and the 3rd is biscuit layered interchangeably with soursop cream then frozen (Is there a name for that?). I also found a recipe for soursop sorbet and soursop Ice cream. You don’t need to have an ice cream machine.



Soursop Sorbet from Simply Trini Cooking

Soursop Icecream from Tastes Like Home

Soursop Punch also from Simply Trini Cooking

Soursop Cake from this baking recipe site and this other site unfortunately there are no nice pics to put up :(

If any of you guys get around to trying any of these recipes, do let me know how it went.
1 Response
  1. Adiya Says:

    Really? I've never heard of it much less seen it! It does look pretty scary lol. I'd like to try the ice cream though- i can't say no to ice cream :D

    P.S. You can check out my blog if you like http://adiyaatu.wordpress.com


Post a Comment

  • Which Restaurant should I visit this week

    About Me

    My photo
    I'm a proper naija girl, Born in Lag, lived in Ph, Went to Sec. Sch in Calabar, Moved to Abj. Went to college in the states, lived in the boonies in MI, and the surburbs in Chicago and the DMV area. Relocated to Abj last yr and is currently finding her footing. Corper lomo!

    Followers